Friday, February 11, 2011

Recipe: Low GI Muesli


As part of our Low GI diet I make homemade muesli for us. It's simple and quick to make AND my kids LOVE it!

This recipe is based around a similar recipe which is found in The Low GI Family Cookbook by Foster-Powell, K. et al.


Ingredients:

3 cups rolled oats (not quick cook oats)
2 cups Special K
1/2 cup unprocessed oat bran
1/3 cup apple juice (I use an organic/unsweetened version - I have also used an apple/strawberry juice blend from Preshafruit which is quite nice)
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
mixed dried fruit/nuts (I don't put nuts in my muesli because I have young children and they will be eating it. I normally include a mixture of dried paw paw, pineapple, coconut and apricots but it depends on what I have in the cupboard at the time).

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 160 C, line oven trays with baking paper (I normally need 2 oven trays for this recipe).
2. Combine dry ingredients (rolled oats, Special K, oat bran and any nuts you're going to use etc.) in a large bowl.
3. Combine the apple juice, honey and cinnamon in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until combined. Bring this mixture to a simmer, pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Spread the mixture evenly over the lined trays and place in oven for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is golden brown and the Special K flakes need to be crunchy not soggy, stir twice during cooking.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray. Once cool add dried fruit to mixture and serve with reduced fat milk and yoghurt if desired (my children love vanilla yoghurt on their muesli).

The muesli can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month (if it lasts that long!!)

Enjoy!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment